[Pace-pax] Clarification on budget template/data deliveries

Cairns, Brian (GISS-6110) brian.cairns at nasa.gov
Tue Jun 28 15:41:34 PDT 2022

All,
                A couple of clarifications based on questions and concerns expressed by a couple of groups.

  1.  “(4) Reserves and contingency, if requested, must be described in an additional sheet, along with an identification of associated risks"  We would prefer to hold contingency at the project level. This cost should therefore be a ROM cost, with a rationale, so we have some insight into the likelihood of it’s happening.  This will allow us to carry reasonable contingency costs.

  1.  We would like final data by December 31st 2024, but recognize that holidays and potential conflicts with other campaigns may be an issue in meeting this milestone and one that could become a significant cost driver.  We do want useable data by December 31st 2024, and are willing to accept provisional data by that date.  Final data will be required by March 31st 2025.

  1.  For travel costs use your standard institutional estimate for proposals.  If there are significant cost inefficiencies identified (i.e. excessive overhead costs) we may need to revisit this.

  1.  Do NOT include travel to conferences or page costs. We may be able to fund, but the purpose of this costing exercise is to evaluate whether the campaign itself fits within the available funding.

  1.  Purely for the purpose of budget planning assume the PACE STM is in June each year.

                Best Regards,

                                Brian

Dr. Brian Cairns
NASA GISS