[All] FW: FYI - ADVISORY: Reminder: Forced Upgrade to macOS 14 Begins Tonight

Kim, Samuel S. (ARC-SGP)[Bay Area Environmental Research Institute (BAER)] samuel.s.kim at nasa.gov
Tue May 14 11:41:08 PDT 2024

Hi all,

It was brought up during today’s meeting that folks have received emails stating the upgrade to MacOS 14 will be forced out tonight. As I had not received any of these emails since I was part of the pilot participant program in April, I reached out to some folks at EUSO and received confirmation that enforcement will begin tonight (allegedly beginning at 8 PM local time). Below is the email I was forwarded from EUSO regarding the upgrade which includes links to a couple guides that provide some basic information and instruction on the process.

Apparently, you’ll need 50 GB of free space available on your computer for the upgrade to proceed; if you do not have enough space, an ESD ticket will be created on your behalf.

Please let me know if you have any questions or encounter any issues. I apologize for not informing you all of this sooner to better prepare you, but since I upgraded in April, I unfortunately did not receive any emails regarding the forced upgrade schedule.

Kind Regards,

Sam

MESSAGE DETAILS
AUDIENCE:The following message is being sent to Customer Engagement for awareness followed by distribution to enterprise-managed Mac users running macOS 13
PURPOSE:Reminder of macOS 14 forced install
COMM SCHEDULE:5/14/2024

Distribution Date:May 14, 2024
To:Users with an Enterprise-Managed Mac Running macOS 13
Subject:Reminder: Forced Upgrade to macOS 14 Begins TonightNote: If you have already completed the upgrade, no action is required.
What’s Happening:You have been identified as a user with an enterprise-managed Mac computer that is running macOS 13.
Email Address
Computer Name
If the device information shown above is incorrect, please follow the instructions in KB0014104: Correct My Asset to correct your asset information.
If you have not self-installed the macOS 14 upgrade, your computer will receive a forced upgrade tonight. Review the information below for more details.

Action Required:

Forced Upgrade to macOS 14 Begins Tonight

Tonight, during the patching window (8 p.m. to 2 a.m. local time), your computer will receive a forced upgrade to macOS 14.

Please note that timing for when you receive the upgrade is contingent upon the current mission freeze schedule. If your center is in a freeze, you will receive the forced upgrade the day after the freeze is lifted.

Please ensure that before the upgrade begins:
You have a complete backup.
You have 50GB available free space on your main hard drive.
To find the amount of free hard drive space you have remaining, go to the Apple menu in the top-left corner of your screen, then click About this Mac > More Info. Scroll down to the Storage section, and you will see the amount of space you have available. If you do not have 50GB available free space, you will receive additional communications.
Your computer is plugged in and powered on.
Your computer is connected to the Internet, either hardwired via Ethernet cable or through Wi-Fi.
Your computer is disconnected from the VPN (which also boosts upgrade speed).
Once the upgrade begins, it can take up to 2 hours to complete, depending on the speed of your network connection. Unless you are using a docking station, do not close your laptop while the upgrade is running.

The following guides describe what you can expect to see while the upgrade is in progress.
macOS 14 Upgrade Quick Start (two-page summary)
macOS 14 Upgrade User Experience Guide (detailed user guide)
Printing the guides will make them readily available for reference during the upgrade.

IMPORTANT: To avoid the forced upgrade, you can self-install the macOS 14 upgrade now at your convenience. The guides above provide the steps to begin the self-install.

Note: If you receive a popup that says, “macOS 14 is not approved by NASA for deployment at this time,” when you initiate the self-install, follow these steps:
Go to Applications > Self Service.app.
Click Remediation Items from the left menu.
Locate the “Refresh Restricted Software” item, then click Refresh.
The “Refresh” button will change to “Executing,” then “Running,” then “Done,” then back to “Refresh.”
Follow the steps again to initiate the self-install for the upgrade.
After the Upgrade

It might take some macOS 14 users longer for their card readers to recognize their PIV smartcards. This has been reported to Apple and will be addressed in a future update. If it repeatedly takes more than 45 seconds for your PIV smartcard to be recognized, or if it is no longer being recognized, please contact the Enterprise Service Desk (ESD) for further assistance.

Resources:

The following resources will help familiarize you with macOS 14 and the upgrade process:
macOS 14 Upgrade User Experience Guide
macOS 14 Upgrade Quick Start
macOS 14 Upgrade FAQs
New Features in macOS Sonoma (14)
Support:

For technical assistance, contact the Enterprise Service Desk:
Website: https://esd.nasa.gov/esdportal
Telephone: 1-877-677-2123 (1-877-NSSC123) Option 2
This notice was sent by Workplace and Collaboration Services within the
Office of the Chief Information Officer.