[Pace-pax] Dry run Sept 12 flights

Knobelspiesse, Kirk D. (GSFC-6160) kirk.d.knobelspiesse at nasa.gov
Tue Sep 12 11:24:44 PDT 2023

Hello,

The 1st PACE-PAX dry run flights are in the air, and ship is in the water! We went with two different sets of plans.

Plan A. Score 0.408
- ER-2 flies up the central valley over several AERONET sites (4) in expected clear conditions.
- A coordinated ER-2 and TO flight leg over a (probably cloudy) Monterey bay
- An east-west flight in northern California over forest fire smoke
- Follows the PACE ground track to off southern California, with a coordinated section with the TO near Monterey
- Heads inland, overflies AERONET-OC (twice) and HyperNav (twice) followed by coordination with Shearwater
- One last AERONET overflight (UCSB) before RTB.

Plan B. Score 0.440 – similar to A, with more work on land before PACE underflight, a bit less over ocean at end
- Overflight of LA basin and an AERONET site
- ER-2 flies up the central valley over several AERONET sites (6) in expected clear conditions.
- A coordinated ER-2 and TO flight leg over a (probably cloudy) Monterey bay
- Two east-west flights in northern California over forest fire smoke
- Follows the PACE ground track to off southern California, with a coordinated section with the TO near Monterey
- Heads inland, overflies AERONET-OC and HyperNav followed by coordination with Shearwater
- One last AERONET overflight (UCSB) before RTB.
- TO, Shearwater and HyperNAV identical to plan A

We scored these with 0.5 hours of observation for each ‘target’. Our next meeting is tomorrow, Wednesday, at noon eastern / 9am PDT. We will assess the success of these flights, have a weather briefing, and come up with plans for Thursday.

Happy flying!
Kirk

PS some people had difficulty accessing files on our ESPO repository. Here are links to those files, please let us know if there are others
https://espo.nasa.gov/pace-pax/system/files/group_files/PACE-PAX_DryRunSept_Kickoff_0.pptx
https://espo.nasa.gov/pace-pax/system/files/group_files/PACE-PAX_1.kml

[cid:image001.jpg at 01D9E584.DE9FAAF0][cid:image002.jpg at 01D9E584.DE9FAAF0]

Kirk D. Knobelspiesse (he, him, his)
NASA Goddard Space Flight Center, Ocean Ecology Laboratory
https://science.gsfc.nasa.gov/sed/bio/kirk.d.knobelspiesse
------> In person at GSFC on Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays