[All] Nov. 25th Update: SHARC in the open water...

Zavaleta, Jhony R. (ARC-SGG) jhony.r.zavaleta at nasa.gov
Tue Nov 24 18:50:01 PST 2020

 Hello all,

After 14 long days in quarantine, two COVID-19 tests (negative of course), and multiple daily checkups, we were released back into the wild. Half a day in Sydney gave us a chance to appreciate the methodical process that the city has for contact tracing (a quick registration of contact info via QR scan at every restaurant or venue you visit), and even without a single case in weeks, people are still encouraged to maintain physical distancing, wash hands often, and masks are only suggested in enclosed spaces. The city seems to be booming, building construction is everywhere. The seriousness and the efficacy of the handling of the pandemic is palpable.

We flew into Adelaide Tuesday and immediately started the ground coordination ahead of the main group getting out of quarantine in a few days. We are looking forward to meeting them in person; all of the interactions in preparation for this mission have been virtual. They are out of quarantine this weekend, Nov 29th, and the first flight is scheduled for December 1st. Not much time between now, their last day in quarantine, and the first flight, but we will be ready.

The SHARC team has also started shifting their sleep schedule gradually for the upcoming work days which will run from 1700 until 0600 the next day.

There are two rehearsal flights planned for December 2nd and 4th (from 0100 to 0500 hours local). The actual mission flight will happen on December 6th, from 0100 – 0600 hours. Detailed planning is underway for the day-to-day operations. The actual mission flight which starts the evening of December 5th and ends in the morning of December 6th, is being planned to the minute.

From when Hayabusa 2 re-enters the atmosphere (around 12:30pm PST on December 6th) until it lands it will take about 25 minutes, reaching a max Mach speed of Mach 42.5 about minute and half after initial reentry. The landing will occur in the Woomera Range Complex in South Australia.

 Best regards from Adelaide,

The ESPO team (Caitlin and Jhony)

PS: The photo shows us in front of JSC’s Gulfstream G-III aircraft (N992NA). One of the two aircraft in this mission. The other one is N520, which was parked inside the hangar at the time of the photo.

JHONY R. ZAVALETA
Project Manager - NASA Earth Science Project Office

MS 232-22, Bldg. N232, Room N232-242
NASA Ames Research Center
Moffett Field CA 94035

Australia (Cellphone): 0435 096 463

USA: (Cellphone):     +1 (650) 224-4825 (worldwide) / Office: +1 (650) 604-0125