[Exports_project_office] Proposals for lingering COVID protocol issues

Ken Buesseler kbuesseler at whoi.edu
Tue Apr 6 11:22:42 PDT 2021

Some parts of this seem easy, other harder.  My "easy" part is if Craig,
Ivona and others are OK with the 1 day relaxation, then I'm fine with
the same 1 day relaxation for my two students.  With this, Meg is there
for full MOB and the 2 students only miss one day.

I agree outdoor recreation is trickier.  I'm generally OK with this, but
had a concern earlier about not waiting 5 days.  The thought was based
upon the assumption that if we do not allow recreation until after the
day 5 test results, than someone who is positive on day 5 would be
identified as someone who picked up COVID during travel, which we know
is largely out of a travelers individual control.  If we do pick up one
or more positives on day 5 after starting outdoor recreation on day 1,
then we will not know if COVID was picked up during travel, or someone
was not complying with recreation the rules.  I do NOT expect
non-compliance, but it would be a bad way to start EXPORTS, if a few
real or false positives come in early on, and the group is second
guessing how it happened.   This is a social comment, not a medical one.

Again, I'll go with the flow on the outdoor recreation.  We have not
decided to do this or not in Vigo, as it has not come up as a major
issue.  FYI, we do have a 15 min one way walk to our two COVID tests in
Vigo, so joking already about our 2 exercise moments, and more seriously
about how to stagger tests to avoid a large group dynamic as we head to
our tests.

Any change on the double bubble issue? Allow few to go between ships but
only during off hours with clear corridors and control?

Later, Ken

--
Ken Buesseler
Senior Scientist, Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution