[Exports_project_office] R/V Thompson discussion

David Siegel david.siegel at ucsb.edu
Mon Jun 1 14:02:36 PDT 2020

Hi All,

I just had a conversation with Liz Brenner and Robert Kamphaus (both at UW) about scheduling the Thompson in 2021 for EXPORTS.  They are pencilling us in for late April (WHOI to WHOI) and will be presenting that at the UNOLS schedulers meeting sometime during the week of the 8th.

There will be relocation costs which we should be able to split with other projects (GO-SHIP is one).  Liz thought it would be about 9 days of the 24 days required to get the TGT from Washington to WHOI.

Big issue is that the TGT's day rates are projected to be pretty damn high (~$52K/day with techs) due in large part to dealing with expected COVID-19 costs (12% increase alone).  The Atlantis’ projected rate for this year was going to be $46.34K/day.  Robert stressed that these are likely to be worst case #’s. This may force our hands to rethink how we do the cruise (but I think its too soon for us to worry about this yet).

Last issue, is that UNOLS as of today is requiring a mandatory 14 day self-quarantine.  That of course will change.  They did say that funded NSF participants have been told the they write a supplement to their awards to pay for the hotel, etc. costs associated with the self-quarantine.

Over all a good discussion and they are working hard to get us on the schedule.  I do not think there is need for us to discuss this in person now as I think we should wait and see what happens with the schedulers meeting.

Best, Dave (the Cookie Monster).