[Exports_project_office] R/V Revelle - MOB Day 2!

Deborah K. Steinberg debbies at vims.edu
Tue Aug 7 22:13:23 PDT 2018

Hi All,

Thank you all for making things runs smoothly again today!
It seems everyone is getting far along with set-up and getting situated on the ship.

Issues to keep in mind as we progress with MOB, some are new and some pertinent ones are carried over from yesterday:

1.  If you are sleeping on the ship, you may park at the ship overnight.  Please leave a wide space (6-7 spaces) where the forward crane is located so that they can pick pallets, etc. that will go on the forward 01.

2.  Walk-ins:  Deb conducted a census of PIs and supplied the ship with temperatures for the walk-ins (12C and -20C).  You should see these temps reflected on the doors to each walk-in.  If they do not look correct please let one of us know.  They can still be tweaked (specifically the incubator side) once we get on station and determine the right temp for experiments.

3.  A new fridge/freezer (for the Hydro Lab) and a new chest freezer (for the main lab) were delivered this afternoon.  If you feel they are not functioning properly please let us know ASAP.

4.  LN Dewars will be filled again tomorrow!  Quincy and Brent filled the remaining dewars today and will top them all off again tomorrow morning.

5.  If you plan to put pallets/large boxes on the forward 02 deck, they will need to be marked with yellow tape.  Deb is holding the list of pallets/boxes with the PI name.  If you have not yet let her know that you will be putting things up there please let her know.  We are waiting until all items moving to the 02 deck are on the pier and organized before we inform Matt and Brennan that we are ready to load them.

6.  Two science hold spaces are available for smaller packing boxes and things like spares, etc.  The first and most accessible is forward of the main lab and the second is aft and below the Wet Lab.  We do not get all of the space in these holds, so please see us before storing boxes in either space.
- Some groups have started to move into these spaces.  We DO NOT have access to all of the space in these holds.  The forward hold is more ideal for boxes that people will need access to and larger boxes.  The aft hold required maneuvering down a set of stairs and may be better suited to small boxes and nesting boxes/crates.
- We will need to organize ourselves in these spaces, probably tomorrow afternoon or Thursday morning to ensure we are not blocking walk ways as well as respecting the ship's needs for space.

7.  We will try to get sign-up sheets posted on each freezer/fridge tomorrow so that users can put their names and samples types/chemicals posted.

8.  Please provide Deb or Jason a copy of your MSDS to provide the ship.  It would be great if you would write your name(s) and where the chemical will be used on the ship.  Keep one copy for yourself.  Please update the chemical inventory form if you have not done so recently.  https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1CZO7qEh2FLKYjC4XU33juJs-6FkIZ_IDiptmSCLWOKc/edit?usp=sharing

9. The incubator farm is being set-up and will be in full swing again tomorrow.  Thank you to all who have been moving that effort forward.   For your safety, please be mindful of your steps as more hoses and splitters get laid down on the deck.

10. It seems bedding was scarce for those of you that moved on board last night and today. Please see us if you are having problems finding what you need.

Thanks!
Jason and Deb

Dr. Deborah K. Steinberg
CSX Professor of Marine Science
Chair, Department of Biological Sciences
Virginia Institute of Marine Science
+1.804.684.7838 | +1.804.684.7293 fax
debbies at vims.edu<mailto:susan at vims.edu> |  http://www.vims.edu<http://www.vims.edu/>
PO Box 1346 | 1375 Greate Rd., Gloucester Pt., VA 23062 USA