[Exports_project_office] Last go thru on the PI message...

Cetinic, Ivona (GSFC-616.0)[UNIVERSITIES SPACE RESEARCH ASSOCIATION] ivona.cetinic at nasa.gov
Wed Jul 19 08:39:46 PDT 2017

sold.

Ivona Cetinic, Ph.D.
NASA Goddard Space Flight Center/USRA
Ocean Ecology Laboratory
Code 616
Greenbelt, MD 20771, USA
http://ivona-cetinic.flavors.me
Phone: +1-301-286-1514

"You can observe a lot just by watchin'." Yogi Berra
________________________________
From: Exports_project_office [exports_project_office-bounces at espo.nasa.gov] on behalf of David Siegel [david.siegel at ucsb.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, July 19, 2017 11:31 AM
To: exports_project_office at espo.nasa.gov
Subject: [Exports_project_office] Last go thru on the PI message...

Any last comments???  Dave

One comment about letters of support in NSF proposals. NSF now has you write a short email stating "I support my involvement in the proposal as stated in the workplace” or something similar.  So nothing elaborate needs to be done.

Dave

***************
Hi All,

I know you all are working thru your proposal budget debriefs and project descopes with Paula and Laura. They have the hard job of creating a coordinated field program from 11 well reviewed, self contained science proposals. Thanx for your understanding, sacrifices and willingness to work together so together we can complete the community’s vision for EXPORTS.

I’m sure have 1e6 questions (maybe 1e9?). To start the process of our working together, we would like to hold an initial EXPORTS Science Team telecom next Tuesday (July 25 - 1:00-2:30 ET / 10:00 to 11:30 am PT). Co-PIs are welcome to join the conversation too. If a project PI cannot make the telecom time slot, please ask one of your Co-PIs to cover for you. This is important.  Dial in:  1.844.467.4685   Passcode:  251901

The goals of the telecom are to 1) introduce your rescoped project to the Team, 2) present what your group plans to measure, how, and from which ship, 3) address what measurements you are expecting from other groups, 4) assess ship/UNOLS equipment needs (including berthing guesstimates) and 5) describe how your project contributes to EXPORTS and what science are you most excited about.

Please be prepared to speak for about your rescoped project for ~5 minutes and answer questions as they arise.  To help prepare for the telecom, I will collect and collate relevant project information (see below).  Please email me the following information by next Monday (Mon July 24). This can and should be kept short.  I will distribute the collated information to all by Monday afternoon.

   Lead PI / institutions:
   Project Title:
   CoPIs / institutions:
   Measurements to be made & from which ship:
   Equipment to be brought to sea:
   Known field requirements (vans, ship equipment, lab bench space, hoods, over the side time, sampling equipment, etc.):
   Berthing guesstimate:
   Needed measurements from other groups:
   Which EXPORTS Science Questions does your project respond to best:
   What aspects of your inclusion on the EXPORTS Science team are you most excited about:

Hope this all makes sense and looking forward to your responses by Monday.

Best, Dave

PS - The first EXPORTS Science Team meeting will be Sept 19-22 at the USRA facility just north of DC.  Please make this on your calendars. We will want to talk goals and objectives for this meeting on Tues.

PPS - As you know, colleagues will be writing proposals to NSF this August that leverage the NASA investment in EXPORTS. We will need to discuss how we handle this Tuesday too.

David A. Siegel
Science Lead, NASA EXPORTS Field Campaign,
Chair, Interdepartmental Graduate Program in Marine Science, and
Distinguished Professor, Department of Geography and Earth Research Institute
UC Santa Barbara
Santa Barbara, CA 93106-3060, USA
Ph: 01-805-893-4547
Em: david.siegel at ucsb.edu<mailto:david.siegel at ucsb.edu>