[All] Shutdown Info

Czech, Erin P. (ARC-SGP) erin.czech at nasa.gov
Tue Sep 26 17:04:15 PDT 2023

Thank you, Sam, for sharing.

Here are the other points we covered at our meeting today and some I found while looking through the updated resources:

  1.  We don’t know if there will be a government shutdown, but things look bad and concerns are growing.
  2.  If you haven’t yet done so, please update your personal email and phone number at https://gcc02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fdocs.google.com%2Fspreadsheets%2Fd%2F1KktqIvWWQsoHX6bH0s51yhjG6XGQv5DedCTyr5fwGF8%2Fedit%23gid%3D0&data=05%7C01%7Call%40espo.nasa.gov%7C4b6c55ebe1c7442ce51f08dbbeed4c01%7C7005d45845be48ae8140d43da96dd17b%7C0%7C0%7C638313698612782233%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000%7C%7C%7C&sdata=hKYSuVEGUfeQ7oJmLSTEIS%2BpZUsVqbDcSF1P2g1YyBs%3D&reserved=0<https://gcc02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fdocs.google.com%2Fspreadsheets%2Fd%2F1KktqIvWWQsoHX6bH0s51yhjG6XGQv5DedCTyr5fwGF8%2Fedit%23gid%3D0&data=05%7C01%7Call%40espo.nasa.gov%7C4b6c55ebe1c7442ce51f08dbbeed4c01%7C7005d45845be48ae8140d43da96dd17b%7C0%7C0%7C638313698612782233%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000%7C%7C%7C&sdata=hKYSuVEGUfeQ7oJmLSTEIS%2BpZUsVqbDcSF1P2g1YyBs%3D&reserved=0>. We should be ready to print these out on Monday so we can reach each other in case of an urgent issue.
  3.  In the case of a shutdown, the Ames campus will be closed starting Tuesday, Oct 3. The campus would be open Monday, Oct 2 if anyone needs to retrieve anything.
  4.  In the case of a shutdown, NASA civil servants are furloughed. During a shutdown, it is illegal for civil servants to voluntarily work or represent themselves in any way as a NASA employee. The 2023 NASA Shutdown Furlough Guide states that “government-issued IT devices should not be used for any other non-excepted work activities or for personal use”. So no sending email, making calls, or sending texts from your NASA IT devices.
  5.  BAERI employees can continue to use their work laptops and phones. Since BAERI employees are still in a work status, a shutdown would be a good time to work on housekeeping tasks that are on your back burner.
  6.  NASA employees will be paid retroactively for the time they are affected by a shutdown furlough. BAERI employees will be paid as usual during a shutdown.
  7.  Regarding civil servant checking of email, the guidance at the directorate meeting was unclear, and they plan to send out a clarification if necessary in the days to come. Although the 2023 NASA Shutdown Furlough Guide states that NASA employees can “use their Government-issued IT devices for orderly shutdown activities or to periodically check for shutdown-related updates and communications” they did not know if this included checking NASA email. It is certainly not OK the send email from your NASA account during a shutdown.
  8.  BAERI employees are allowed to be on travel status during a shutdown. NASA employees on active travel status would have to return home in an “orderly” fashion.

If I missed anything important, please reply all with any additions.

Thanks,

Erin Czech
Project Manager, Earth Science Project Office
NASA Ames Research Center
Mobile: +1 650 499 6406
erin.czech at nasa.gov